SOUTHWEST PUBLIC LIBRARIES
Position: Youth Services Assistant ll
Location/Division/Dept.: Westland Area Library/Youth Services Department
Salary: $10.15 per hour w/o degree $13.13 with a degree
Hours per Week: 40 hours per week
Title: Youth Services Assistant II Position Description #2 YS
Reports to: Youth Services Librarian
Classification: Library Asst. II Range: E
Prefer College Degree
Relevant library experience.
Familiarity with basic children's literature and resources.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers and staff.
Ability to exercise initiative and work independently.
Ability to read titles on shelves and print on CRT screen.
l. Assists with planning, scheduling and presentation of youth programs such as preschool story hours, school group tours, after school programs for school age children, and special story programs for family groups.
2. Works with supervisor in promotion of youth services and programs, including special
service to teachers and assistance, as scheduling permits, with programs sponsored by other departments or agencies.
3. Advises supervisor on purchase of materials needed for programming.
4. Provides readers' advisory and information services to children, parents, teachers, etc., including instruction in use of online services and assistance with identifying and locating materials.
5. Refers questions requiring in-depth research to Reference staff.
6. Assists in bibliographic verifications and preparation of bibliographies, as well as with shelf maintenance and merchandising of collections.
7. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.