Downloading to Your Kindle
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to get digital content on your Kindle.
Have questions? Ask a staff member or call one of the SPL locations for assistance.
Note: It is best if your Kindle is already connected to WiFi. Your 3G connection does not work with library titles. If not connected to WiFi, you must “Sync and Check for Items on your Kindle Menu” after you connect. If you have a Kindle without WiFi, see directions below.
Step A. How to Check Out a Kindle eBook
Using any device with an Internet connection:
1. Visit the Digital Downloads section at www.swpl.org to find a book
2. Find a book in the Kindle Book format and click Add to Cart
3. Click Proceed to Checkout
4. Select Southwest Public Libraries option from the Library drop down menu
5. Type your Library Card number in the box and click Login
6. Click on Confirm Checkout
7. Select the Get for Kindle button that displays with your book; you will navigate to Amazon
8. Sign in to your Amazon account (or create one if needed)
9. Choose your Kindle device in the Deliver to: drop down menu
10. Click the Get library book button to check out the book
Step B. Transferring a Kindle eBook to the Kindle
If you have a current generation Kindle model (Kindle 3) and are connected to WiFi, the eBook will download wirelessly and you can start reading! Although earlier Kindle models (Kindle, Kindle2, Kindle DX) do not have WiFi, you can transfer Kindle Books from a PC to these Kindle models using a USB cable:
11. On a PC connected to the Internet, visit www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle
12. Under Your Kindle Library, you should see the Kindle eBook you checked out above
13. Click the Actions button for the book you want to transfer
14. Select Download and transfer via USB
15. Under Which Kindle will you transfer to? select your Kindle from the drop down menu
16. Select Download and Save the file to a location that is easy to find again, such as the desktop
17. Connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable
18. Your Kindle will appear as an external USB drive on your PC
19. Move the download file into the Documents directory on the Kindle USB drive by clicking and dragging
20. You may have to eject your Kindle before the document appears in the Kindle homes screen
Step C. How to Begin Reading on Your Kindle
Newly downloaded books will display on your Kindle home screen. For additional questions or requirements,
please visit Amazon’s Kindle page for Public Libraries.
You may receive emails from Amazon about renewal or purchase of library eBooks on your Kindle. These messages are
not from Southwest Public Libraries. We do not charge fees for use of eBooks. While the library doesn’t maintain a
history of the titles you have downloaded, Amazon may have a list of titles downloaded to your Kindle.
Downloading to Your Kindle.