The Patron Services Associate is enthusiastic, compassionate, and self-motivated who exhibits a customer service focus that aligns with library values. They are committed to the process of lifelong learning and consistently deliver high quality library services and resources to all patrons. This position is integral to the everyday operation of the Library and requires those in this role to be flexible in delivering exemplary service. The Patron Services Associate pays close attention to details, uses care in their interactions, and upholds library policy.
- No supervisory responsibilities
- Welcomes and serves people of all ages from a variety of cultural backgrounds
- Assists patrons at service desks, on the floor of the library, and via telephone and email
- Recommends library services and materials to best meet the needs of the patron
- Answers patron account questions and helps patrons resolve account issues
- Processes payments and reconciles the cash drawer
- Provides library cards to patrons, accompanied by information and support to use their library card and account
- Communicates regularly with Patron Services Manager
- Completes professional development and assists with training and integration of new colleagues
- Shares responsibility for cleanliness and organization of shared equipment and working spaces
- Records statistical data on meeting room usage and other patron services
- May participate or assist in program planning, development, and implementation
- Suggests program ideas that help the library create a robust slate of programs of interest to our patrons
- Retrieves, sorts, and places on reserve requested items from partner libraries
- Shelves, straightens, and merchandizes the library collection; prepares library displays
- Assists in weeding, maintenance, and everyday upkeep of the collection to keep it attractive and useful
- Organizes and prepares materials for delivery, shelving, hold, or check-out
- Assists patrons in navigating the Public Access Catalog (PAC) and finding items
- Offers Reader’s Advisory where indicated
- May process, review, and label new library materials
- Demonstrates a commitment to equity and inclusion in all aspects of the Library
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Ability to remains stationary for long periods of time at service desks
- Ability to moves about inside the library between service points to access equipment, shelves, materials, etc.
- Ability to push carts and lift materials and equipment weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office machinery, including a copy machine, printer and scanner.
- Regularly positions self to reach upper and lower shelves while handling items weighing up to 10 lbs.
- Regularly reads text on paper, from a screen, and from items sitting on shelves.
- Ability to learn and use library software and other essential workplace technologies
- Commitment to cultural humility in serving diverse populations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently in an environment subject to continuous interruptions
- Ability to alpha-numerically sort and organize library materials
- Willingness to uphold the Library’s policies, mission, professional standards/ethics, and strategic plan
- Relevant library experience including demonstrated excellent customer service preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish, English/American Sign Language, English/Somali, or English/French a plus
Click here to apply for this position.
Please specify on the application which location you would like to work, if you have a preference.